git commit message convention¶
The following provides a common structure used for Git-based commit messages.
<summary> <empty line> <description> <empty line; if meta content exists> <meta>
- The summary has a suggested limit of fifty (50) characters.
- Promotes small/description message.
- Fits in Git shortlogs, gitk, etc.
- The summary has a strenuously suggested limit of twenty-two (72) characters.
- Fits with eighty (80) character terminals; considering some common usage for a four (4) character pre-fix tab for showing logs (and leaving four (4) character space at the end of each line).
- The summary is suggested to be in lower case.
- Clean and consistent casing for descriptions.
- The summary is suggested to not end with a period.
- Treat as a title.
- The description has a suggested limit of twenty-two (72) characters on a single line.
- Same reason as the summary; however, there are proper use cases for lines exceeding this limit. For example, complete URLs, and output dump or more.
common meta usages (but not limited to)¶
Signed-off-by: Acked-by: Tested-by: Reviewed-by: Suggested-by: Bug-identified-by: Review-identified-by: